Whether you’re planning a career change or just wanting to earn some extra cash, you can find plenty of established transcription companies here at HOWPO work from home guide, offering remote transcription projects through various online job portals today. And 3Play Media is one legitimate transcription organization that promises any inspired work-at-home professional a successful transcription career.
Is 3Play Media a Legitimate Transcription Company?
3Play Media is a distinguished transcription enterprise that provides professional audio description and transcription services to hundreds of clients and industries around the globe. This organization is committed to making video accessibility effortless for ESL learners and hard-of-hearing individuals.
3Play Media, which is based in Boston, MA, has been operating since 2007. Its comprehensive range of closed captioning, subtitling and audio description solutions significantly make video accessibility easy through integrated web-based platforms, media players, and video formatting in one solution. 3Play Media also delivers efficient closed captioning and subtitling services in different languages and video formats.
To date, professional services of 3Play media are utilized by over 2,500 businesses, learning institutions, and government offices across various fields of industry. Services offered include:
- Audio and video transcription
- Language translation or interpretation
- Closed captioning and subtitling
- Video creation and editing
- Content writing
- Fast typing
3Play Media Application Process
3Play Media is continuously searching for highly qualified professionals who can transcribe a huge variety of audio/video sources and edit transcripts using web-based transcribing software. 3Play Media requires all interested applicants to have a working computer with stable internet speed since all transcription projects are performed remotely.
To become a good candidate for the position, you are expected to deliver exceptional transcription services with almost zero correction within a specified timeline. Furthermore, you need to pass a series of qualifying tests to demonstrate your transcribing skills before you will be allowed to access the official job listing.
Initial job qualifications include:
- At least 18 years old
- U.S. resident with a valid bank account (for payment) and tax records (for verification)
- Strong command of the English language (grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and can work independently
- Superb research and organizational skills
- Great time management skills
- Keen to project details
- Minimum typing speed of 75 words per minute
- Proficient in using word processing tools and spreadsheet applications
- Basic knowledge in troubleshooting and software installation
- APO/FPO address (applicable for individuals stationed within U.S. military zones)
3Play Media may need transcriptionists to meet the following technical requirements in order to make their jobs more efficient:
- High speed internet connection, preferably 10Mbps or faster (for expedited research and file download time)
- Minimum 2.0GHz processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB available disk space (desktop or laptop)
- Valid email address and personal contact details
- Foot pedals
- Good stereo headphones
When you apply, go to the registration page of 3Play Media and fill up the application form. Please indicate your typing speed after taking a short typing test from the link provided by the page. Describe your laptop model, hardware specifications, and internet speed during application.
You must also write a brief description about yourself, your career history as well as your strengths and weaknesses as a transcriptionist. This will help 3Play Media match the type of transcription job you can perform at your best.
Upon submission, you will be required to take a short qualifying exam to demonstrate your transcribing skills and the ability to follow instructions. Your application will not be entertained if you don’t take the transcription test.
As an independent contract worker for 3Play Media, whether you’re working as a transcriptionist, an account executive, or a transcript proofreader, you have the freedom what projects you want to take, how much time you want to devote and where you want to perform transcription. You are not expected to transcribe audio and video sources from scratch since 3Play Media employs its own “patent-pending process and technology,” which enables the machine to deliver exceptionally closed captions, subtitling, and transcripts in a draft form, which seem better than conventional transcribing methods.
After producing the draft transcript, the transcriptionists will carefully review each transcribed word and make corrections when needed. Once done, the quality assurance officer will then make a thorough review process, which includes document formatting and research work to ensure quality for each completed transcript. Almost 75% of the job is done by a speech recognition software, and the rest is carried out by the certified transcriptionist, enabling 3Play Media to expedite the transcription process and make it more cost-effective.
Having a comprehensive job listing provides transcriptionists the flexibility to receive complex transcription projects or transcribe more technical contents based on interest, expertise, and accent familiarization. Transcribers are allowed to select the type of transcription project they want to take as long as they can submit the finished transcript on time.
3Play Media pays transcriptionists based on the number of “accepted” transcripts per week. Each transcriptionist can earn between $10 to $30 per hour depending on speed and efficiency, but transcribers can increase their weekly payout if they are able to complete more complex projects, rush orders, and hard-to-decipher video sources. When you visit the job listing, each project contains a brief description of the media content, turnaround requirement, and project rate, giving you an idea of how much you can earn for every completed transcription.
Pros and Cons
According to some employees who worked previously with 3Play Media, the company seems to be a “legitimate” work-at-home employer that treats independent contract workers with respect. Other special benefits you may get include:
- Offers useful tips and career resources for skills enhancement
- Offers work flexibility (work at any schedule you want)
- Highly motivated workforce and welcoming work environment
- Great work culture
- Offers more career opportunities through mentorship, conference, and training
- Diverse range of projects to transcribe, including conference calls, business meetings, court proceedings, video blogs, and academic lectures
With regard to its disadvantage side, you should expect these common work scenarios when you work for 3Play Media:
- Inconsistent workload throughout the year
- Not recommended as a primary source of income (supplemental work-at-home job should be added)
- Response to an application takes too long due to the volume of application and fewer job openings.
When you look for any job on the internet, you can definitely find an exciting online career that will match your interest and present skills. And the best part is that you can make real money through online transcription as long as you have a laptop and a great pair of listening ears.
Aldrich Tan is a duly registered Filipino architect and is currently working as a freelance writer focusing on content writing and blogging purposes.