The number of Filipino freelancers have been growing steadily over the past few years. The opportunity of working from home and having more time to spend with family and friends is one of the many reasons why they quit their corporate jobs and jump on board of the freelancing business.
A virtual assistant is one of the most popular roles freelancers take on. Many businesses, from start-ups to big companies, recognize the importance of virtual assistants. Because they delegate many of their mundane tasks to their VAs, they get to have more time to focus on the more important aspects of the business.
So what exactly are virtual assistants and what can they do?
Virtual assistants are like Jarvis to Iron Man. They may not be physically there with you, but they play a vital role. VAs can do a lot of things. They can pretty much complete plethora of tasks that don’t require their physical presence.
If you’re planning to become a virtual assistant, here’s the most common tasks that clients outsource to their VAs.
Business owners need to constantly evaluate their current business strategic plans and think of innovative ways to improve their sales.
Research plays an integral part in this process. However, many business owners don’t just have the luxury of time to spend gathering significant data and insights. This is why research ranks high in the to-do list of their VAs.
Here are some of the research types that the VA do:
- Data mining – With the help of people search tools such as LinkedIn or RocketReach; you can search for a person’s information such as email address or mobile number. This helps build and complete your client’s contact database.
- Market research – This includes competitor research, product research, brand analysis, and audience research. You can maximize the use of online tools such as Google Keywords Tool, FreeLunch, and Google Trends to gather important data that your client needs.
- Content sourcing – A great content attracts potential customers. Help your client find content ideas that will compel your audiences and increase your web traffic.
2. Social Media Management
Gone are the days where social media platforms are exclusively used to share your OOTDs or travel goals.
Social media has become an important aspect of digital marketing. What better way to establish your brand and gain new followers than creating a strong social media presence?
There are tons of social media tasks that you can do for your client – from creating and managing their social media accounts to monitoring your social network engagement.
So what are the skills that you should have to become a social media virtual assistant guru?
- Communication skills – You should be able to express your ideas effectively and connect with your audience. Take the time to get to know your target audience and immerse with their culture.
- Organizational skills – to become an effective social media manager, you must be good at organizing what to post, when to post, and which social media platform to post.
- Attention to details – A simple typo error can cause confusion and misunderstanding to your audience. You should have sharp eyes when it comes to every single detail.
- Innovation and Creativity – Social media trends are fast evolving. What’s trending now may become history in the next few days. Aside from creating contents that will stand out, you should also be innovative and always on the lookout for fresh ideas.
- Resourceful – Get your creative juice flowing by utilizing the tools around you. Hootsuite, Canva, and Redbooth are recommended tools that will make your job easier and more efficient.
3. Administrative Work
Administrative tasks can take a lot of your client’s time. Instead of being out in the field and meeting potential customers, they can get stuck in their desk for hours completing mundane paperwork.
Your administrative tasks may vary according to the nature of your client’s business. Here are some of the most common admin tasks that you can take out of your client’s seemingly full plate:
- Calendar management
- Email management
- Answering support tickets
- Following up with customers and clients
- Booking appointments
- File management
- Creating and sending invoices to your customers
- Producing graphs and reports
Become the backbone for your client’s success by possessing these skills that are a must-have for admin support:
- Verbal and Written communication – Since you act as the face and voice of your client, you must have a friendly and positive attitude. Make sure that all correspondence that you send embodies knowledge and professionalism.
- Adept in technology – You should be familiar with tools such as Outlook, PowerPoint, Google Docs, and more. It would be extremely hard to perform your tasks if you don’t possess technological skills.
- Time management – A day in the life of a virtual assistant can be nerve-wracking and stressful, especially when you see your tasks piling up. It’s important that you know which tasks to prioritize and action first. Being able to multi-task can also help you accomplish more things.
- Detail-oriented – Since you’re handling important and sometimes sensitive client communications, you must be keen to details. You should have an eagle eye to catch any typos or grammatical errors.
4. Customer Service
All successful businesses have one thing in common: they have excellent customer service.
One of the many tasks that you can do as a virtual assistant is providing support to your client’s customers. This includes answering their queries and providing resolution to their concerns. Regardless of which platform you use – email, chat, or phone – you should make sure that you provide a positive customer experience.
Gaining new customers is tough, but maintaining current ones are equally tougher. Not only should you show your expertise in every customer interactions, but you should also exhibit courtesy and friendliness at all times.
5. Content Creation
Content creation has become an important aspect of digital marketing. By providing engaging and informative contents regularly, business owners target new customers and create awareness for their brands.
If you have a knack for creating interesting and useful contents, then you clearly have an edge amongst thousands of aspiring virtual assistants. Since content marketing is one of the most in-demand skills, you should up your game and become an ultimate VA.
Here are some of the most useful tools in creating impeccable content.
With many foreign business owners recognizing the quality of work of Filipino freelancers, the future for Filipino virtual assistants definitely looks brighter. You don’t need a Master’s degree just to be successful in this field. Though it’s a plus that you’re familiar with these VA tasks before getting the position, most of these tasks and skills are learned along the way.
She also works as a full time administrative support. She takes care of most of the administrative tasks so that her clients can focus on the more important aspect of the business.
Melissa is passionate and dedicated to her career, but family is still the most important for her. No matter how crazy her day can be, she still makes sure that she has the time and energy to take care of her husband and their 3 year old daughter.
You can contact Melissa for all writing projects and collaborations
Latest posts by Melissa Tumbiga (see all)
- 5 Most Common Tasks of a Virtual Assistant - August 9, 2019
- Ultimate Guide for Linking EastWest Bank to PayPal - April 10, 2019
- Ultimate Guide for Linking BDO to PayPal - April 1, 2019