Have you thought of creating your own website to show off your portfolio to friends, clients or potential clients and showcase your skills?
This is mostly the common question of most freelancers or VA’s, especially those who don’t know how to create their own site or don’t have any web developer skills.
Most of those who have no knowledge at all will think right away of creating their portfolio to websites such as Medium, Behance, Blogspot, and other Web2.0. Some who have knowledge will create their portfolio site in Wix and Weebly.
Do you belong to the people I mentioned above?
If so, then read more..
Difference Between Creating a Cheap vs. Affordable Custom Portfolio Website
When you plan to create your own portfolio site then you need to think in advance if you’re planning to scale it. If you’re planning to create one just for learning and for fun then I suggest you create your site mentioned above.
Pros & Cons of Web2.0: Cheap or Free
These are some of the few of the reasons
-Cheap or free
-Drag and Drop
-You won’t get to create your own brand such as mybrand(dot)com
-Won’t get to personalize your own portfolio site or there’s a limitation
-You won’t be able to receive payments if you add that feature.
-You won’t be able to add Ads (Google adsense)
-Site is slow depending on the hosting
Pros & Cons on Wix and Weebly
Some of the few reasons why when you tried them,
-Cheap or expensive for additional features
-Drag and Drop
-You need to spend money on having your own domain
-Hard to rank your own portfolio site if you have competitors locally
-Site is slow depending on the hosting
Creating your Affordable Customized Site
-You will be able to create your own brand
-Have a sense of the professional vibe
-Maximize to improve your site more
-Able to rank your site easily if you have low competitions locally
-Can choose which hosting is suitable for you and fast at an affordable price
Step by Step on How to Create your Own Portfolio Website
First, you need to choose and purchase a Domain and Hosting.
Note: You need to create your domain and hosting separately. The reason for this is in cases someone hacks your account or destroy your site, you can recover it or fix it.
For choosing a site for purchasing a domain, I suggest choosing Godaddy if you want to get a feel at it first or gain experience. If you want to go ahead without experimenting then I suggest Namecheap.
Godaddy is great but after 1 year, the renewal for the domains are expensive. You can try Namecheap, Hostgator, and more.
Get your Domain at Namecheap
1. Create your account at Namecheap and purchase a domain for your portfolio site.
2. Under domain menu, select “Domain Name Search”
3. Type the domain name you want then include the Free WHOIS and SSL for a year.
4. Click Add to Cart then you have your own domain name.
Get your Hosting at Interserver
If you want to have a discount just type the promo code HOWPO2019 to get $0.01 for the first month to help you get started. That way, while you are still familiarizing yourself you’re paying only $0.01 for the first month.
1. Go to Interserver and purchase a web hosting for your site.
2. Click WebHosting located at the Menu
3. Click Order
4. Choose either of the two which is Standard Web Hosting for $5 and WordPress Managed Hosting for $8 or the WordPress VPS. To get discount type the coupon code: HOWPO2019
5. Wait for 48 hours for your DNS to propagate but its usually less than that.
Install WordPress on the Hosting Side
1. Select your domain at the Hosting site which is Interserver
2. Below, click Login to Cpanel
3. Click Softaculous App Installer
4. Select WordPress
5. Be sure to remove “wp” so that your domain won’t look like https://yourdomain(dot)com/wp
6. Be sure to change “http” to “https”
7. Input the username and password for you to login
8. Select which WordPress theme you want to install
8. Click Install
Generate CSR to Activate SSL
1. Go to Cpanel of Interserver and select SSL/TLS
2. Generate a new CSR
3. Input details such as the Domain, City, State, Country, Company, Company Division, Email, Passphrase, and description. You can place the name of your site in the company section and the passphrase section is like a password so just add any phrase you want. The description can be just about what your site is.
4. Copy the generated CSR
5. Go to Namecheap and click “manage” on the Positive Comodo SSL
6. Input the CSR
You will be asked which DCV method to use, just select HTTP. You can select the other two which is Email and DNS if you prefer.
24 hours, the site can be live but the https: version will be the next day once it’s propagated to the different servers completely. To check for the DNS Propagation status, check the link here.
While waiting, you can customize or design your site at the back end since you have installed WordPress. To login to your site just go to “https:InputYourDomainNameHere(dot)com/wp-admin. Input your username and password then you can now log in to your
How To Install the Certificates (CRT, Private Key, and Ca Bundle) at Interserver to Fix the Self Signed Issue?
Go to your Namecheap dashboard and click manage on the Positive SSL. Click the drop-down arrow beside “See Details” and download the certificate.
You will get a zip file, and extract on a specific folder to your site.
To view each key, try to open it with Notepad. Go to Interserver cPanel, then to SSL/TLS. Click “Install and Manage SSL for your site (HTTPS).
Copy and paste the key that you opened using notepad to each corresponding placement which is CRT and CA-bundle.
Note: For the private key, you can get that at Certificate Signing Request under SSL/TLS. Click “edit” and scroll down at the bottom until you can see the “.KEY” just above the delete CSR button. Select and open in a new window and copy the private key.
Hassle? Here are 3 Reasons Why Doing this is Worth It
-There’s a possibility that you will rank your site easily depending on your knowledge of SEO and the level of difficulty against your competitors.
-You will have the flexibility of earning in different kind of ways such as type of ads you like to add, people or brands who would want to collaborate with you and more.
-Able to customize your site freely with few limitations but can be fully done if you hire someone to do it.
-Gain a new skill in the process such as Web designing, SEO, and more.
Can’t Picture Out How to Design your Site?
If you have little knowledge of HTML coding, I suggest installing a website builder plugin to easily design your site. WordPress Builder Plugins can give you the function of creating your site like those in Wix or Weebly where you can just drag and drop. Common website builder plugins are Elementor, Beaver Builder, Divi Builder, WPBakery Page Builder.
What I usually use is Elementor and Divi but make sure before you install a website builder, make sure it’s compatible with the current WordPress theme you are using.
To have an idea or look on what it looks like, check the video below.
Feel free to experiment on the design on how your portfolio will look like.
Feel free to comment if you have some questions
Latest posts by Dale Basilla (see all)
- How Freelancers Can Easily Get a Credit Card and Checkbook - September 4, 2019
- Freelancer’s Guide on How to Create Your Own Portfolio Website - August 31, 2019
- Freelancer’s View of Insurance: Important or Just an Additional Expense? - August 28, 2019