What is Wix?
is a free website builder where anybody can just create their own website with no skills in coding needed. Wix has a lot of free themes, apps, and features to choose which you can use to create your ideal site or blog.
How to Create your Website or Blog?
- First create an account here Website Builder
After registration, choose a website you wish to create. Most common would be a blog, business, and online store but let’s go ahead and show you with creating a blog since it’s the most common.
- Choose blog then you will be shown two options.
There will be two choices to select from which is ADI and Editor. Wix Adi helps you with suggestion related to the site you will be making giving you relevant themes and apps to choose from. Let’s choose with the editor for you to have more freedom of choice or options in creating your website.
- Choose a Blog Template.
There are 100’s of templates to choose from and you can choose any template that suits your preference.
- Click Edit site (template).
- Edit the site the way you like it. Just click the editor on the left and right side then apply.
Once you’re done editing, adding pages, posts, and content you can click “Publish“.
The next thing to do is share and post your website link but the downside is that your site name is long which is “emailaddress.wixsite.com.yoursite” it may seem to look not professional that’s why the things you need next are the domain, hosting and SSL.
How to have a Domain in Wix?
Hover at “Site” menu then click “Connect Domain” or you can click “Upgrade” to have an unlimited plan and save 45%.
I suggest connecting your own customized domain then click “Save and Continue“. If your out of budget and just want to start and try out first the free domain then you can opt the first choice. After you can create a new domain or connect your own domain. The price for connecting a domain will be displayed on the image below.
If you plan to connect a domain only then you can choose the cheapest one which is the “Most Basic“. On most basic, ads will be shown and if it annoys you or don’t like it then choose “Combo“.
How to Add Hosting?
Hosting is already free but you can always choose another hosting site which you think has 99% uptime and no problems with downtime.
How to Add SSL?
SSL certificate is important to have a secured site and guaranteed safe data from your web server to your browser to stay private.
So the question is do you need it?
It depends if you’re site or blog involves payment then it’s important to have one. SSL is important in SEO but does not have a strong correlation with it.
To acquire SSL:
- Go to “Dashboard“
- Click “Manage Site“
- Then “Advanced tab“
- On SSL certificate, click “turn on“
- Click “Continue“
Remember: if the location of the domain is external or outside Wix then SSL is not supported. You can always purchase an SSL certificate for your site.
What are the Useful Apps that you can Use?
- Live chat– Helps you interact with customers or viewers on your blog or site.
- 123 Contact form– creates beautiful forms for leads, payment, subscription or what you intend to use it.
- Blogger feed– Useful in blog pages for your viewers
- Pnyxe comments– for viewers to express their thought
- Rating– useful in the online shop for the rating of products.
- Target Hero– for email marketing, manage a contact list and connect with your customers or viewers.
Latest posts by Dale Basilla (see all)
- How Freelancers Can Easily Get a Credit Card and Checkbook - September 4, 2019
- Freelancer’s Guide on How to Create Your Own Portfolio Website - August 31, 2019
- Freelancer’s View of Insurance: Important or Just an Additional Expense? - August 28, 2019